Welcome to Part I of Vegan MoFo Day Six. Last night, both the Literate Zombie and I took a survey that’s been floating around the MoFo posts. This morning, I came across a few more that had an extended survey so I decided to go ahead and give answers to these questions as well. It’s just me here to do this as he’s gone in to work already. Part II will be about our dinner tonight with pictures and budget updates too.
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
To drink, Pacific Foods brand of Hazelnut Chocolate; to cook, unsweetened unflavored almond milk
2. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
I once made lentil burgers that turned out to be less than optimal
3. Favorite pickled item?
Huge dill pickles
4. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
Beets, Brown Rice, Avocados
5. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
Being in the kitchen with my Papa. He taught me soooo much in terms of cooking and there are times now when I’ll replicate something he used to make and all I can do is smile and eat, smile and eat.
6. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Frozen bananas- so versatile. Just add whatever flavor you want to the bananas in a food processor and BOOM! A dessert that you can control in terms of ingredients and taste that’s easy
7. Most loved kitchen appliance?
8. Spice/herb you would die without?
GARLIC! or Creole Seasoning
9. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
I stay away from jams and jellies because of how much sugar is used. I didn’t know until we learned how to make blueberry jam from scratch and it shook me out of the habit of using it. But it used to be raspberry jam
10. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
11. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
HAIL SEITAN! After I learned how to make this at home [so so easy] we’ve been discovering how awesome it really is. But tofu is a very close second
12. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
I really love soups, stews and chilis. I could eat one of these every single day. Literate Zombie has different feelings on this so it’s a compromise. And any time the kitchen is clear is my favorite time to cook because there are 5 other people living here with one tiny kitchen
13. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Nothing. We don’t use the freezer [except for freezing bananas and we don’t have any in there right now]
14. What’s on your grocery list?
Haven’t worked on it yet. We’re sitting down tonight to figure out week 2’s budget but I’m definitely going to try and made a vegan green bean casserole!
15. Favorite grocery store?
Ocean Beach People’s Food Co-op
16. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
We tried to do seitan pot roast but the consistency was wrong. So technically, we still haven’t veganized it in terms of texture but we’re seeing it as a challenge for the ultimate fall-apart-on-your-fork seitan roast
17. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
Hell Yeah It’s Vegan!, Vegan Crunk
Stay tuned for Part II. The menu we planned for says BBQ Seitan but we’ve decided to make the Homemade Baked Beans with seitan pieces seared and then tossed in to slow cook. I’ll be back to write more about how it turns out with pictures!
And be sure to read all of the amazing blogs out there stirring things up in Vegan MoFo-land! Spread the love!